Taking on a renovation project is a big responsibility. To get it done as efficiently and painlessly as possible you need to be prepared. re:fab has got you covered with this list of things to consider before and during your renovation!
- Make a plan for what you want to accomplish during this renovation.
- Come up with a realistic budget before meeting with anyone.
- Find a contractor or contracting group that has several years of experience, is trustworthy and reliable.
- Have the contractors come up with an estimate for the renovation and discuss your end game. Have them analyze the situation and come up with the best approach for you. Make sure to have them outline a realistic timeline for the project that you can keep track of. If this is step one of a series of projects, tell your contractor, so that they can check to see if anything they will be doing will affect future plans.
- Talk about whether or not you will be able to continue working in the space during the renovation. This way you can prepare and figure out a solution for the if you need to close up shop at any period of time.
- If you are on a tight budget, remember to stick only to things that are necessary!
- Once you have come up with your budget pick out any products you can before the renovation starts. This way you won’t be wasting time and you can stay on schedule and budget.
- Remember that there will be hiccups along the way, as unforeseen challenges can come up. Keep a separate budget for any issues that may arise.
- Treat your contractor with respect and communicate with them to the best of your ability. Let them know what you do and don’t like to help avoid any miscommunications, as they are ultimately there to help you and they cannot do that if you aren’t talking to them.
- During the renovation, put away all valuables and other items that you wouldn’t want to get ruined.
- Keep the endgame in mind- know that it will all be worth it!
Moving forward with a renovation can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be! Stick to these guidelines and you can be sure to get through it without regret. For more information contact re:fab and ask for a free estimate for your next project!