There is a lot to be said for creating a safe work environment. Not only does a safe environment make employees generally happier and healthier, production typically is better, and insurance premiums are lower in a workplace that has been deemed safe. Many business professionals will tell you that this requires creating an environment in which all of your employees can participate in achieving safety goals. Moreover, having a facility that can foster a safe workplace is imperative. A commercial painting company and epoxy flooring specialist, at re:fab, we’ve seen our fair share of commercial and industrial buildings over the past 30+ years, and we’ve helped countless businesses ensure the safety of their employees through preventative and routine building maintenance including commercial painting and epoxy repairs.
Here’s a few safety tips we’ve put together – Safety Tips No Business Owner Should Ignore – that we believe will help foster a safer environment in your workplace.
- Ensure that work areas are cleaned regularly and free of hazards. This includes checking equipment regularly to ensure proper operation. And, if safety gear is necessary, be sure it is available at all times. Don’t forget to have fire extinguishers in plain view and ensure all employees know how to use them. First-aid kits and emergency phone numbers should also be readily available.
- Remember that your employees are your best consultants. Solicit their input on how to improve workplace safety. Promote actions which make the workplace more enjoyable, and create a system that gives workers’ the ability to provide supervisors with both positive and negative feedback on all operational matters
- Keep track of and learn from your experiences. Keep a journal of events that lead to or nearly resulted in workplace accidents and use them to learn and grow. Also develop a preventative maintenance checklist including items such as fire alarm testing, exhaust and return fan testing, elevator testing, HVAC testing, etc.
- Don’t forget about preventative building maintenance. As a commercial painting company, we have seen far too many buildings become run down without proper maintenance and care, thus causing problems that can turn into safety issues. A fresh coat of paint will not only point out existing problems, it can also boost morale within the workplace. Similarly, epoxy flooring repairs can ensure the workability of your business. Also ask us about power washing, EIFS repairs, commercial painting and our other maintenance services.
- Always consult with a professional regarding any safety questions or building maintenance issues that come up and be sure to comply with all safety requirements in your particular field of business. Try to involve everyone in your safety efforts and be sure to conduct emergency drills every few months so your employees are prepared to take action if needed.
As a leading commercial painting company and epoxy flooring specialists, at re:fab, we are happy to work hand-in-hand with many business professionals to ensure their building is in compliance with local safety standards and to ensure proper building maintenance to enhance the life of the structure. Should you have any questions about our safety tips or would like to schedule a consultation regarding your specific needs, we are always just a phone call away.
Connect with our team at re:fab today. We look forward to hearing from you and to helping you with all your building maintenance needs. Let’s get started today!